Tear gas is used both by police for crowd control and by individuals for self-defense. There are three main forms of tear gas:
- CN (chloroacetophenone)
- CS (chlorobenzylidenemalononitrile)
- OC (pepper spray, Oleoresin capsicum)
- Contain any doorway exit of the affected area with 4-6 mill plastic.
- Do not let people enter the affected areas, as the contamination is easily spread.
- If affected areas are served by HVAC, shut down immediately. (Any HVAC units servicing the area should be shut down at the beginning of Police Activity.)
- If an elevator is in the immediate area, shut it down.
- If multiple canisters have been fired into a unit that has a common hallway, expect secondary contamination in the hallway and adjoining spaces.
- Apply PurAyr™ treatment to effected area and HVAC system, no further decontamination steps are necessary.