How does heat extermination work?
Heat is the most effective tool available to exterminate bed bugs – as recommended by the CDC. Our natural pest control process involves exposing infested areas to temperatures above 113°F leading within minutes to the death of bed bugs and their eggs.
Heat Eradication Chart
|Lethal Temperature||Time Duration|
|Bed Bug Adults & Nymphs||113° F / 45° C||15 Minutes|
|Bed Bug Eggs||113° F / 45° C||60 Minutes|
|Bed Bug All Stages||115° F / 46° C||7 Minutes|
Heat is introduced into the home through industry-specific heaters and powerful fans distribute the heat evenly to all areas. This convection processes allows heat to penetrate beds, furniture, electronics, wall voids and clothing. To ensure proper pest treatment our technicians will need to open all drawers, closets, bags and boxes, furniture may need to be moved and beds taken apart. Wired and wireless probes are used (under carpets, behind baseboards, inside mattresses, etc…) to continuously monitor temperatures to guarantee complete bed bug extermination. Once temperatures above 130°F have been recorded in all areas, we will continue to heat for an additional 3-4 hours. The entire process takes 6-10 hours, we will ask you to leave after breakfast but you may return in time for dinner. Not only does our natural treatment process kill bed bugs with heat, it also kills bacteria, viruses, allergens and spores.
Don’t worry! We supply our own heat so your power bill will not be affected.
Prep is simple and everything except people, plants and pets remains inside. Read our prep guide
Take a walk-though of a heat treatment in progress
The advantages of HEAT treatment
- kills bed bugs with a single natural extermination process
- prep takes several hours, not days
- heat can be safely used to treat furniture, beds or electronics
- no need to launder clothes and bedding
- heat treatment is non-toxic and non-chemical
- saves time and money
For more information about heat treatment from qualified external sources, read the articles below:
- Using Heat to Kill Bed Bugs – Dini M. Miller, Ph.D., Department of Entomology, Virginia Tech
- Fundamental Research of Efficacy of Heat on Bed Bugs – R. Hulasare, Senior Scientist & Product Manager, TEMP AIR, INC., Burnsville, MN
- UF Researchers Turn Up the Heat on Bed Bugs – University of Florida News
- The Enemy Within: The Challenge of Eradicating Bedbugs – Correctional News
- Prevention and Control of Bed Bugs in Residences – University of Minnesota
- Lethal Effects of Heat and Use of Localized Heat Treatment for Control of Bed Bug Infestations – Department of Entomology, University of Florida
- Bed Bugs, Heat and Hotel Rooms – By Michael F. Potter, Alvaro Romero, Kenneth F. Haynes and Tom Jarzynka
Certified Heat Teams
Experience, training and technical competence matter when it comes to heat treatment. While bed bugs can be difficult to eradicate, you should not have to put your home or property at risk to get rid of them. Our heat treatment teams are certified by ThermaPure, Inc., owner of the ThermaPureHeat® trademark and are trained in the safe and effective use of the heat equipment. Pure Environmental is certified at Technical Level Three and Four – the highest technical standard ThermaPure, Inc. has established.
ThermaPureHeat® is trademark of ThermaPure, Inc. and is used under license.